The Widget Gallery is a functionality available since version 8.0 that allows users and editors to create a template and share in multiple dashboards. Creating a template and than using it inside a dashboard, the users will have the capability of creating complex dashboard elements quite easily and quickly, keeping a common base template.
This functionality is available for:
- HTML widget
- Custom Chart widget
- Python widget
The first step is to create a template gallery or to upload some template.
Inside the administrator panel a new element should appear named Gallery Management. This link will bring you to the gallery management, the widget templates creation gallery.
In the left part of the interface the list of the widget templates are available. At first opening this section will probably be empty.
There are two ways to add new templates:
- add a new template
- import a template
If you are adding a new template you will see the detail section to the right, and will have the possibility to create a template.
Using import you will see a dialog to choose the template to be imported. Clicking “import” it will be added to the current list.
A Template is a json file containing a collection of properties describing the widget and the code that will compose it.
The following fields will be present:
- Name: Mandatory. The name of the widget template
- Type: Mandatory. The widget type.
- Output type: Available for the python widget only. Will set the output type of the python code.
- Description: Optional. The description of the widget template, will be visible as a tooltip on the dashboard selection.
- Tags: Optional. A list of unique tags to easily categorize templates. It’s possible to search using tags too. Allowed values for tags are uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, ‘-’, ‘_’. The space character is not allowed.
- Image: Optional. The image of the widget that will be shown on the dashboard selection. Maximum image size is 200k.
- Code section: Mandatory. The code editor.
Depending on the type of widget selected the availabe editors will change in this way:
- HTML widget: HTML, CSS editors
- Custom chart widget: HTML, CSS and JS editor
- Python widget: Python code editor
To save the template it’s possible to click on the top right toolbar on the save button. If save button is disabled one or more mandatory fields are empty or invalid. It’s also possible to export the single template selected or simply to close the page and choose another one.
Inside the cockpit or dashboard functionality, a new tab will be present when creating a new widget of the available types.
This tab will not be available when no template is defined and if the widget is opened after it’s first saving.
The first template will always be the “empty” one, in order to allow users to create a custom widget without starting from a template. The other templates will be available after the empty one and will show the image, the tags set by the editor and, when hovering, the description of the template.
Clicking on an item, the code set in the gallery management will be copied in the new widget template, preparing the widget for ultimate customizations. The user will just need to link dynamic data or change specific css section to create the desired widget.