This chapter focuses on Knowage user interface, providing detailed information on the Main Menu, the Document Browser and some general settings concerning analytical documents. First of all, a short introduction on profiling rules its provided.
The administrator will provide you a username and a password to log in Knowage environment.
Fig. 101 Login page
These credential identifies you as user and are associated to your role.
In Knowage suite, roles represent categorizations of group of users, granting each user with different rights and visibility criteria on documents and data, according to their business profile.
This is what is called Behavioural Model. It allows to:
- reduce the required number of analytical documents,
- code only once the behavioural and visibility rules on data,
- guarantee the uniform growth of the project over time,
- guarantee the respect of the visibility rules over time, with no limit on the number analytical documents that can be added.
All the analytical documents are strictly related to the behavioural model. In fact, the behavioural model guides the behaviour of the analytical documents according to the user’s role, managing the visibility of documents and data.
Every role belongs to a predefined role type. The available role types are listed and described below.
Table 12 Role types
||Manages all Knowage
||Manages the behavioural model and
its associated functionalities.
||Creates and modifies datasets and
||Tests analytical documents.
||Executes documents visible to him
and creates ad-hoc reporting
From now on we suppose the reader has a role of type “End user”. If some grants are optional for this role we will state it.
Fig. 102 Home page
The menu gives you access to documents, data and all the functionalities that you are allowed to use. By default the menu button is at the left bottom corner of the home page: click it to open the menu.
Main menu consists in a set of icons associated with basic features. It is divided in two submenus: the general menu, which is collapsed, and the BI functionalities menu. It is important to underline that not all the components of the menu are mandatory, but they may be configured by the administrator according to user’s needs.
Fig. 103 General and BI functionalities menu.
You can open general menu clicking on and then on username drop down menu.
Table 13 Menu components - General menu
(available if you are
associated to more
than one role).
||Infos about Knowage
- My Account
My Account is visible only when
SPAGOBI.SECURITY.MY_ACCOUNT_MENU configuration is enabled.
My account button, if enabled, allows user to access Modify profile page. Here you can modify your information and also permanently delete your account.
With this feature user can modify their own data such as Name, Surname and Email address. Password and Confirm password fields are mandatory so they must be filled before applying changes clicking on “MODIFY”.
If user fills Password and Confirm password fields with a valid password that is NOT the current password (used to log in), the password will be updated with the new value.
With this feature user can delete his account clicking on DELETE ACCOUNT button. Then a message confirms the correct cancellation and the login page is displayed.
Account cancellation is irreversible. User will no longer be able to log into Knowage.
If user wants to change his password, he must fill Password and Confirm Password fields and the click on MODIFY button. A confirmation message will be displayed if the update has been successful.
Fig. 104 My account - Modify profile
- Document Browser
- This is a standard functionality of Knowage Server. It enables you to access.
- This is available only for KnowageBD and KnowageSI. Entering the Workspace you will find the sections: Recent, Documents, Data and Analysis. The “Recent” area shows the latest documents you were working on, while “Documents” contains the analytical documents the user asks to be archived on this area. This way the user has a more rapid and efficient way to retrieve the documents of his interest. The “Data” section is made up of the “Dataset” and the “Models” subsections. In the Dataset one you can access all the self-service BI features. Once entered this section, your datasets appear divided into four categories:
- User Datasets:
- MY DATA SET, containing all the datasets created by you,
- ENTERPRISE DATA SET, where you can find the datasets created by the developer and released to the users,
- SHARED DATA SET, containing datasets created by other users and shared with you,
- CKAN DATA SET, available only for KnowageBD, where you can search for open data among different portals and save the selected ones in your environment.
From here you can also modify your existing datasets or create new ones for instance uploading a CSV or XLS file.
In the Models one instead you have two tabs on the right side of the interface. The Business tab allows you to access models built up for you by the developer and inquiry them using the QbE interface. In the Federation definition tab you can create federation between one or more existing dataset using the specific GUI or just access the exiting ones as well.
Analytical documents, navigate the document folders tree, search, sort and execute documents.
Finally selecting My Analysis section, available only for KnowageBD and KnowageSI, you enter a new page where you can navigate and create your self-service analysis.
- Functions catalog
- Lets the user enter the data mining functions a technical user has previously developed.
- Glossary definition
- The user can define the proper glossaries and related words useful for his own analysis.
- Allows the user to specify the festivity days of a certain time frame.
The General menu is identified with the first icon in General Menu and a label containing your user name. Opening the general menu you have the following extra buttons:
- Select role
- If your user is associated with more than one role, Knowage requests you to specify the default role. You can select it when executing a document, or right after authentication by clicking on this icon and choosing a default role.
- Select the language of Knowage environment.
- View the details of current Knowage version.
To conclude the overview of this area we describe a not mandatory element. When configured by the Knowage administrator, you can have quick links to a static page, a document, a folder or an external application, like for instance a web page. These links are displayed below the BI functionalities menu, as shown below.
Fig. 106 Quick links
You can minimize the main menu by clicking the right arrow at its bottom right corner. This way the main menu is replaced by the menu button, so that you can close/open it according to your needs. You can move this button around the page by dragging and dropping it. Choose the position that best fits with your work.
Document Browser overview
From BI functionalities Menu, select to open the Document Browser.
Fig. 107 Document Browser
By default, the page is divided in two parts, as shown in Figure above: in the left side there is the functionality tree representing the folder structure, while on the right you can see the list of all documents contained in the selected folder.
Each line shows the label, the name, the author and the type of the document, while the play button at the end of each row executes the document. Moreover, clicking on a line opens a side panel on the right of the page. Here you can see more metadata information such as the document description, the state and the creation date (see Figure below).
Fig. 108 Documents details expanded.
At the top of this side panel you find the button, the same one you see at the end of each document line. Click on it to execute the document.